Constipation is no stranger to babies. In fact, constipation is one of the ten most frequent conditions that a general pediatrician sees. In our previous article about Natural Ways to Ease Constipation, we covered things such as fibere and magnesium. These are both found in several foods you can feed your baby. So, we decided to put together a few of our favourite purees containing these to make your baby a little more comfortable down there.
- Pea, Broccoli and Apple – Apples have around 3-4 grams of fibre. Don’t forget to keep the apple peels on, as that’s where most of the fibre is! Broccoli is also very high in fibre, as most dark green vegetables are. Peas pack an additional boost of protein for a complete meal that tastes delicious.
- Pear, Banana and Cinnamon – Pears have several ingredients that aid in constipation such as fibre, sorbitol and fructose. They also have high levels of water content, which can ease digestion and prevent constipation. Like, apples it’s best to leave the skin intact. Bananas are also high in fibre and potassium. Cinnamon has an antispasmodic effect, and relieves gas build up in the stomach. It also eases indigestion by blocking production of body chemicals that lead to inflammation.
- Beet and Carrot – Though beets aren’t a dark, leafy green, they do have a great fibre content. Bonus? By steaming beats in your Babycook, its vitamin A and beta carotene will be more easily absorbed by your baby’s body. Carrots of course give an extra dose of vitamins A, K and C.
- Avocado, Banana, Flaxseed – Besides being good for your skin, avocados also can help with constipation. They contain a high amount of fibre and are the only fruit to contain a high amount of healthy monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA.) They’re nutrient dense with almost 20 different vitamins and minerals. As stated before, Bananas can also aid in digestion. Flaxseeds in themselves are a powerhouse, containing fiber, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseeds can also aid with symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
- Asparagus, Spinach and Lemon—Asparagus has a high amount of insoluble fibre, which adds bulk to stool and encourages regular bowel movements. Spinach, another dark leafy green, contains tons of fibre. It’s also high in magnesium, which also encourages the colon to flush things out. In addition to adding a nice tartness to the puree, lemon juice is a natural laxative due to its citric acid content. It also acts as a stimulant to flushing toxins out of the body. Talk about being a main squeeze!