Baby porridge is one of the foods that many parents choose to introduce first to their baby. Similar in flavour and soft and creamy like milk, it is not too different to their usual diet and therefore often more easily tolerated when first introducing solid foods.
While you can purchase baby oatmeal at the supermarket, it is quite expensive compared to regular rolled oats, and is exactly the same thing, just milled into finer grains. With your Babycook, it is easy to make your own milled oatmeal and far more economical. Simply store in a sealed container and use as required. You may also wish to try our baby rice porridge recipe for a slightly different flavour and texture for your baby.
Baby Oatmeal Porridge Recipe
To make baby oatmeal:
- Place 2 cups of oats in the mixing bowl of the Babycook®.
- Mix, reducing the oats to a fine powder and place in an airtight container for use as required.
To make baby porridge from milled oats:
- Suitable from: 4+ month old
- Preparation time: 2 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Ingredients: 2 tablespoons milled oats (see above for instructions), 4 tablespoons baby's usual milk, pre-made fruit puree (see below for ideas and recipes).
- Take 2 tablespoons of milled oats and 4 tablespoons of baby's usual milk and place in saucepan on the stove.
- On a low heat, gently stir the porridge as the milk is absorbed into the oats.
- Take a fruit puree, such as apple or strawberry puree and stir through for more flavour.
- Allow to cool sufficiently before serving to baby.
Et voila, bon appétit!