Do you run out of ideas when it comes to healthy kids snacks? We do, and although fruit, berry yoghurt or veggies with dip is always popular, sometimes we just like to mix it up. We used to buy expensive packaged fruit bars from the supermarket, until we tried this recipe. These will not only save you money as they are a fraction of the price to make, there is a lot less packaging and as you are making it yourself, it is free from added stuff like sugars and preservatives. This one is just fruit and oats making it dairy and gluten free (if you use gluten free oats) and very easy to make. If you have a toddler at home, they might enjoy rolling out the mixture and making the bars with you.
Fruit Bars Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Ingredients: 5-6 strawberries, 1 apple, 80g of sultanas, 1 cup rolled or quick oats.
- Peel and chop the apple and strawberries.
- Place the apple and strawberries in the steamer basket of the Babycook®.
- Fill the Babycook® with water to level 2 and press steam button.
- When cooked put both of the steamed ingredients in the blending bowl while reserving the cooking liquid. Blend adding the sultanas and oats. Add some liquid if its too dry, or some more oats if its very sticky.
- Spoon the mixture onto some baking paper, place another piece of baking paper on top and press/roll it to make it approx. 1cm thick.
- Pop it in the freezer for about 10 minutes to make it a bit firmer.
- Cut into bars about 1cm wide x 10cm long, place on a baking tray and into an oven heated to 200 degrees celsius, for 5-7 minutes.
Et voila, bon appétit!
You may wish to substitute some of the fruits for others that are your children's favourites. Pears, berries and bananas work well paired with dried apricots or dates. Let us know a different combination that you have tried!