The impact colours have on children's learning, their moods, concentration and behaviour is well documented and proven by numerous studies. Much research has come to the conclusion, that if you change the colour (or the level of intensity of colour) of different food items, then it can have a dramatic effect on a person's expectations. When trying to get picky eaters to try something new, we can use this to our advantage! Now obviously we don't want to add food colourings to our baby's food, but we can use the natural colours in foods to help us! In this recipe we use beetroot to make the chicken and broccoli pink! Let us know if you have tried something similar at home in the comments below!
Pink Chicken Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Ingredients: 100g chicken breast, 2 cooked beetroot (freezer packed or tinned), 1 head of broccoli.
- Wash and trim the broccoli stalks then cut into small florets.
- Take skin off the chicken breast and chop into 1cm cubes.
- Place chicken and broccoli in the steamer basket of the Babycook®.
- Fill the Babycook® with water to level 3 and press steam button.
- Wearing gloves, remove the beetroot from the pack and roughly chop into quarters.
- When cooked, put all the ingredients in the blending bowl while reserving the cooking liquid. Mix, adding the beetroot
Et voila, bon appétit!
If serving to toddlers, children or adults, there is no need to blend. Serve with a bed of couscous.