Back in April, we wrote a post called 'Eat a Rainbow!' If you do this each day, it means more than just ensuring you and your family are eating enough fruit and vegetables – it’s about eating a wide variety of these healthy foods so your body gets all the essential nutrients it needs. As Better Health explains, as a general rule, the darker the fruit or vegetable, the more anitoxidants it has. This is great news for purple fruits and vegetables! This puree recipe is a perfect dish to cook up, feed to your baby and then freeze the leftovers meaning you'll be able to reheat whenever needed and know that your baby is getting a range of nutrients from eating the rainbow! And best of all, the purple colour makes it appealing to babies and kids of all ages.
Rainbow Puree Recipe
- Suitable from: 4+ month old
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Ingredients: 1 purple carrot, 100g sweet potato, 50g Parsnip, ½ zucchini, ¼ capsicum, zest of ½ lemon
- Peel the carrot, sweet potato and parsnip.
- Chop carrot, sweet potato, parsnip and zucchini into 1cm cubes.
- Add the zest of ½ lemon
- Place all ingredients in the steamer basket of the Babycook®.
- Fill the Babycook® with water to level 3 and press steam button.
- When cooked, put all the ingredients in the blending bowl while reserving the cooking liquid. Mix, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid until desired consistency has been achieved.
Et voila, bon appétit!
The more purple carrot that is added, the stronger the purple colour of the puree at the end! You may save the unused cooking liquid and store in an airtight container for a safe and healthy food dye. In our experience, something as simple as changing the colour of a dish can make it seem so much more appealing to fussy toddlers! Purple rice anyone? If feeding to an older child, skip the blending step and serve as mixed veggies!