This recipe is packed with flavour and texture. Some parents may wonder if it is better to feed your baby mainly plain and smooth foods. However research suggests, babies who learn to enjoy a wide variety of flavours and textures are likely to continue eating a wide range of foods as they grow older. Just remember that many young children can need up to a dozen small tastes to like and accept a new flavour, so keep introducing different foods but don't panic if your baby doesn't seem to like the flavour of everything they try. You are setting a foundation for later in their life! Offer different foods, such as the recipe below, and let your baby play with their food and explore what they’re eating.
Steamed Pork ‘Stir Fry’ Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Ingredients: 100g pork fillet, 1 pak choy, 4 baby sweet corn, ¼ red capsicum, ½ carrot, garlic, ½ teaspoon ginger, ½ teaspoon lemon rind
- Chop all vegetables into small pieces.
- Chop pork into 1cm cubes.
- Peel and grate ginger and garlic. Grate lemon rind.
- Place all ingredients in the steamer basket of the Babycook®.
- Fill the Babycook® with water to level 3 and press steam button.
- When cooked put all of the ingredients in the blending bowl while reserving the cooking liquid. Blend adding the reserved liquid to reach desired consistency.
Et voila, bon appétit!
If following BLW, serving to toddlers, children or adults, there is no need to blend and you may wish to cover the pork in soy or oyster sauce prior to cooking.