Fish are a healthy and lean source of protein—and the oily kind, such as salmon, trout, tuna or sardines, are essential for healthy brain development. If you don't have any trout available for this recipe, try salmon or tuna as substitutes. This puree is suitable from when your little one has been introduced to the foods in the recipe, usually from around 8 months old. As they grow older into toddlers and young children, serve this in a more chunky style as a healthy pasta sauce or with rice. For alternative fish recipes, try our Steamed Fish with Asian Greens or our Tuna Patties recipe or search for 'fish' under the Blog tab.
Trout, Sweet Potato and Broccoli Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Ingredients: 75g smoked trout, 1 cup of sweet potato, 1 cup of broccoli, splash of baby's usual milk
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into 1cm cubes.
- Chop the broccoli into small chunks.
- Cut the trout into 1cm cubes or smaller. If your smoked trout is from a whole fish, be careful to avoid bones while removing the fillets.
- Put trout, sweet potato and broccoli into the steamer basket.
- Fill the Babycook® with water to level 3 and press the steam button.
- When it has finished cooking, remove the steamer basket and discard the cooking liquid.
- Combine all cooked vegetables in the Babycook® mixing bowl. Blend until a puree consistency has been reached, adding a splash of milk as required.
Et voila, bon appétit!
If you don't have any trout available for this recipe, try salmon or tuna as substitutes. To use this puree as a finger food or when serving to toddlers or young children, serve 'chunkier' with pasta or rice and add a little cheese for extra flavour.